Friday, September 21, 2007

What strange Klingon is this?

I suspect I'll miss Pimsleur when I wrap it up in a few weeks.

The lessons keep an odd sense of pace, so that some times I feel that some point is being hammered through the wall and well into the next room, then material previously covered but not fresh on the mind will reappear. And even if at some point in the past I thought they'd beaten that old material half to death, it suddenly seems fresh again, even challenging.

And from time to time, something totally new will be introduced to shake up everything. And all that old material suddenly turns out to have facets that I hadn't been thinking about, but mean so much in the new context.

This week, for instance, I've been exposed to things like, "The party was great. I think you would have liked it."

I fumbled about some, trying to figure out how to spell some of the unfamiliar Spanish words in use in these new lessons, because I could tell something new was going on, and I wanted to hit the books.

After a fair bit of guesswork, googling, and good old-fashioned book-flipping, I found what appears to be the word: "Subjunctive"

These leaps into whole new material feel like a stretch when first encountered, but after the new know-how has had time to seep into the brain it seems to come progressively easier.

I polished off Lesson 12 today, and I know they can only cram a certain amount into the remaining lessons. But they way the challenges just keep coming, I'm sure I'll have a bunch more tools in my belt by the time it's time to turn the lights out on Pimsleur & focus more on something else.

No comments: