Sunday, September 16, 2007

translating the hand-written note on mate curing

Yesterday at the festival, I was given a hand-written note on the curing of a mate gourd.

Here's my re-type of the note:

para curar el mate
que tenga buen sabor

primer dia - echar yerba agua ir viendo
segundo dia - [notes were blank here]
tercer dia - [notes were blank here]

primer dia - echar yerba casi lleno y poner agua ir viendo - hacer un hueco en el medio del mate con la bombilla y echar bastante whisky

segundo dia - volear lo que tiene y hacer la misma operacion

tercer dia - la misma operacion pero sin whisky

cuarto dia - lavar bien y tomar sabrosos mate

Hector Urite - un argentino de Gualeguay (entre rios)

bien matero

And here's my translation/paraphrase thus far (with the assistance of Google Translator and Oxford Spanish Dictionary 3rd ed.):

In Order to Cure the Mate (the gourd)
that it tastes good

first day - to put yerba (the herb) water to be seeing
second day -
third day -

first day - to put almost full yerba (the herb) and to put water to be seeing - to make a hollow in the middle of the mate with the bombilla (the special straining straw used for mate drinking) and to put enough whiskey [I believe the gist of this is to fill the mate/gourd almost full with yerba/herb, pour in water until you can see it, use the bombilla straw to create a divot, and fill that divot with whiskey.]

second day - throw out its contents and conduct the same operation again

third day - the same operation but without whiskey

fourth day - wash well and drink flavorful mate (the beverage)

Hector Urite - an Argentinean of Gualeguay (between rivers)

Have a nice mate!

I'll keep at it a bit, cross-referencing against other info I can find on mate curing to see if I can improve it.

I've updated my translation/paraphrase a bit, now that I've had a bit more time to explore the matter in some detail.

I've also begun curing my mate gourd using a process similar to the one described here. One exception, though, is that instead of using a whiskey, I'm using a high-quality aged reposado (tequila aged for a period of less than one year).

No comments: