Saturday, October 13, 2007

How long does it take? Part 2

It's tough to say with any accuracy how much time I'll spend over the next several months reading and writing Spanish, working with flash cards, etc. I'll have to keep an eye on that and see if I can figure out some estimates.

The LSLC Teleclass is one hour each week (missing some weeks, such as this past Wednesday, when I was too exhausted to participate).

Each episode of Destinos is half an hour and takes place entirely in Spanish. So it should be easy enough to figure out how much time I put into watching the show by noting the number of episodes I've watched and how many times I've viewed each one.

Tracking my viewing of Spanish language TV and such may be trickier. Some times I'm paying relatively close attention for comprehension, and some times I'm just contemplating Paulina Rubio in ways that would not likely win points with her father.

But even the more casual viewing has been paying dividends, because a catchy hook will get stuck in my head, and my subconscious will slowly decode what's being sung, so in the middle of the day I'll suddenly figure out a Belanova lyric. I believe that kind of language internalization is actually quite valuable within the scope of a disciplined study routine.

It's considerably more difficult to factor the actual duration of brief exchanges in Spanish with local native speakers. That sort of thing is very valuable time spent, but can't be fit into neat blocks of study time.

No comments: